Re: (OPE-L) New School Economic Review

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 18:02:37 EST

At 7:02 PM -0500 11/5/04, Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM wrote:
>The 1st issue (Volume 1, #1) of this online journal
>is now out.
>
><http://www.newschool.edu/gf/nser>http://www.newschool.edu/gf/nser
>
>There are articles by listmember Michael Heinrich,
>former listmember Duncan Foley,  Ben Fine, Stephen
>Resnick & Richard Wolff,  Robert Pollin and others.
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Another note on Duncan Foley's paper.
In regards to marginalism's economic agent,the subjectivist theory of
value accords a wholly unreal power and autonomy to the consumer in
the determination of value. Josef Schumpeter long ago pointed out:
"First of all, whether we like it or not, we are witnessing a
momentous experiment in malleability of tastes--is not this worth
analyzing?  Second, ever since the physiocrats (and before),
economists have professed unbounded respect for the consumers'
choice--is it not time to investigate what the bases for this respect
are and how far the traditional and, in part, advertisement-shaped
tastes of people are subject to the qualification that they might
prefer other things than those which they want at present as soon as
they have acquired familiarity with these other things?  In matters
of education, health, and housing there is already practical
unanimity about this--but might the principle not be carried much
further?  Third, economic theory accepts exisiting tastes as data, no
matter whether it postulates utility functions or indifference
varieties of or simply preference directions, and these data are made
the starting point of price theory.  Hence, they must be considered
as independent of prices.But considerable and persistent changes in
prices obviously do react upon tastes.  What then is to become of our
theory and the whole of microeconomics? It is investigations of this
kind, that might break new ground, which I miss." ["English
Economists and State-Managed Economy,", 1949]. Schumpeter also wrote
in Business Cycles that "we will throughout act on the assumption
that consumers' initiative in changing their tastes--i.e., in
changing that set of our data which general theory comprises in the
concepts of 'utility functions' or 'indifference varieties'--is
negligible and that all change in consumers' tastes in incident to,
and brought about by, producers' actions. " (p. 73) Nathan Rosenberg
(1994) argues that Schumpeter has here destroyed the sanctum
sanctorum of the neo-classical citadel--"The commitments to the
exogenity of consumer preferences and the associated virtues of
consumer sovereignty."

Rakesh