(OPE-L) New School Economic Review

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 10:18:10 EST

> In regards to marginalism's economic agent,the subjectivist theory of
> value accords a wholly unreal power and autonomy to the consumer in
> the determination of value.

Rakesh,

In addition to what you wrote, I have an additional observation.

a) while the doctrine of consumer sovereignty and  related
assumptions (i.e.  consumer preferences are exogenous; there
is rational behavior on the part of consumers; consumers
have perfect information about the prices and qualities of all
commodities that they might purchase) have never been valid,
the course of capitalist history has demonstrated it to be
even less realistic over time.  I.e. even under the assumed
conditions of perfect competition, it was obviously ideological
in content;  with the increase in the concentration and
centralization of capital and then the emergence of oligopolistic
markets which emphasize product differentiation and promotion,
marketing, and advertising  it has become _more and more_
blatantly inaccurate.

b) while Marxian theory has always accorded a greater
role to suppliers (capitalists) in price determination than
consumer sovereignty asserts,  it hasn't done a great job
in articulating price determination and  the changed relationship
between consumers and business firms once there is advertising
and oligopolistic markets.

In solidarity, Jerry