Re: (OPE-L) Luxemburg's Intro to P.E. in English

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 08:14:39 EST

At 7:48 -0500 18-11-2004, Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM wrote:
>  > However, Paul Mattick Jr. had a great reply. He answered something
>>  like this: you know, Riccardo, when I think of you I can only
>>  remember that you're a great economist.
>>  8-)
>
>Riccardo:
>
>For Paul M to call someone a "great economist" is not
>necessarily a compliment -- this becomes apparent once
>you grasp his interpretation of the character and importance
>of critique and the purpose of _Capital_.   But, I gather he's a
>friend of your so it was probably a  well-intentioned joke.

I know that, Jerry - I mean, that it was not a compliment. But I do
find the joke, in spite of this and because of this (I do myself
think that Marxism is both a critical political economy and a
critique of political economy) , a *great* reply. Very subtle, no
apologies, impossibility to answer.

In Italy, there is an expression which runs: God must save me from my
friends, I will save myself from my enemies ... Actually, I think
this is a good picture of the debate among Marxists.

rb

PS: I have learnt a lot from Mattick Sr., and also from Mattick Jr,
"though [I am] an economist".
--
Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche