Re: [OPE-L] Hume

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 12:51:37 EST

I would say that the Sraffian system, if it is to have much positive to
offer, in grasping the world, presupposes a concept of value. However,
many 'Sraffians' [ill-defined term] take the Sraffian system to deny the
concept and are accordingly modest in their claims for political economy
in general (since the Sraffian system is still taken to be the best
political economy has to offer).

The reason is that without value there is no commensurability of
different capitalist systems across space or through time, making
general laws, so general science, impossible.

There is a close connection with Hume. Hume was an epistemological
sceptic who fully recognised that realism was inevitable in everyday
life (he left his study by the stairs, not the window). In everyday life
we all believe value exists - e.g. we don't stare bemused when we are
told the GDP growth of a nation - but the Sraffian argument purports to
refute this existence.

Re. gravity: it is precisely the lack of underlying substance, structure
or cause, that bothered Newton himself about gravity and that Cartesians
quite rightly complained against. Seeing gravity as curved space removes
this problem - and removes gravity as a backing for Paul C.'s argument,
I think.

Many thanks,
Andy