[OPE-L] commensurability of value

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 08:17:02 EST

> The reason is that without value there is no commensurability of
> different capitalist systems across space or through time, making
> general laws, so general science, impossible.

Andy:

How _exactly_ *with a concept of value* is there commensurability
across space and time?   How e.g. is value created in Germany in 1860
made commensurable with value created in Japan in the 1990's?

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: >  In everyday life
> we all believe value exists - e.g. we don't stare bemused when we are
> told the GDP growth of a nation - but the Sraffian argument purports to
> refute this existence.
I'll put this to the test:  next time I see Gary I'll mention US GDP and
see if he blankly stares off into space.