Re: [OPE-L] admissions decision-making by consensus

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 20:26:14 EST

At 7:54 PM -0500 2/3/05, OPE-L Administrator wrote:
>The list policy on admissions was reported on in-depth in [OPE-L:6958],
>a statement by the Advisory Committee (AC) dated 4/10/02.  Advisory
>Committee decision-making, including decisions about admissions, are
>by consensus.  I have no more or less "de facto veto power" over AC
>decision-making re admissions than do any of the AC members.  Any
>member of the AC or I can, should we choose, block consensus or
>threaten to block consensus.  At no time  since the AC was formed in
>2002 have I or any current or former member of the AC blocked
>consensus or threatened to block consensus on admissions or any
>other topic.

Oh are you saying that you have never recommended against someone's
admission and that you have never turned down a request for
admission? Hmmm. Very interesting.  And why should you be part of the
consensus procedure at all? You have done this for ten years. Why
should your imprint be on all future list admissions? If you want to
"moderate" discussion, go ahead. But you should not have any control
over who is admitted in the future. I fail again to see why this is
controversial. There is an advisory committee; let it handle future
admissions without your power to block consensus. Let us see if some
old names will resurface and new names proposed.

Rakesh