Re: [OPE-L] Workers' Self-management in Venezuela and the former Yugoslavia / Invitation to International Gathering

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 21:09:20 EST

At 19:48 22/02/2005, Jerry wrote:

>300 copies of a Spanish version of Michael's "Lessons of Yugoslav's
>Self-Management" were sent to employees at a state electric distribution
>firm and another *21,000* copies are due to be distributed by the
>ministry of basic industry to workers in the aluminum, coal mining, and
>possibly other sectors.
>
>This, along with other recent developments related to land reform
>initiatives and the arming of citizens, is indicative of  a rapidly changing
>situation in Venezuela.
>
>Wouldn't you like to be in Caracas in April?

I think the main problem of going in April is figuring out how to clone
yourself to be at several or all of the meetings in the different states at
once! Yes, the situation is changing quickly at this point-- it ebbs and
flows but there are real initiatives beginning in industry at the moment.
One of the real enthusiasts is the new Minister of Basic Industry and
Mining, Victor Alvarez, a professor at the Central University who did his
undergraduate work at the Faculty of Economics at the University of Havana
in the early 80s (along with Julio Huato, who people may know from other
lists); he has appointed as head of the state aluminum company, Carlos
Lanz, one of real ideologues of the process here (and a former guerrilla
who spent years in jail for a kidnapping/ransom). Still, it's important to
remember that the process does not advance without internal opposition. Of
course, you say---  big capital; but, you should know that corruption and
clientalism are the immediate problems and the 'mafia' is the immediate
threat in many cases.
         in solidarity,
         michael
ps. it was 3000 copies that went to the electrical distribution firm.
Unfortunately, the plug from Chavez on Sunday came at a time when they were
between printings.
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724