Re: [OPE-L] Paul Cooney

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 13:46:35 EST

At 11:25 AM -0300 3/3/05, Paul Cooney wrote:
>Rakesh,
>
>Thanks for the welcoming; sorry for the delay in responding to you
>but was away
>in the mountains for a break from the heat for a few days.
>
>Unfortunately, the operative word in the title of my piece is
>'Towards'. Despite
>intentions, I have not returned to actually pursuing this empirical
>analysis but
>hope to at some point. Researching a quarter-century of neoliberal policies in
>Argentina, Brazil and Mexico is keeping me rather busy these days.

I can imagine. Have you had a chance to read Dumenil and Levy's
Capital Resurgent: Roots of the Neoliberal Revolution? There is very
little on the effects on the South; I am also puzzled by how finance
is conceptualized; They insist that in focusing on finance, they are
not saying that neoliberalism is the hegemonic project of the
financial sector of the capitalist class per se; rather they are
focusing on those whose property materializes in the holding of
securities, and on financial institutions. So it seems to me that
they are saying that neoliberalism should be understood as the
aggressive project of rentiers. But I am not clear.
At any rate, I think there are a lot of potential theoretical and
political problems in such a conceptualization.

Rakesh