Re: [OPE-L] Brazil Massacre: Protest at Brazilian Consulate

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 10:53:53 EST

>Does anyone on the list know more about the regional politics
>and economics of this struggle?  Is this reaction a coordinated
>campaign in Brazil or an isolated event by right-wing forces,
>including land developers and banks, in just one region of
>Brazil?   What blaim, if any, does the Lula administration bear
>for this eviction and massacre?
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Jerry,
         I haven't heard anything about this and, most interestingly, have
not received anything from the rural landless movement (MST) in Brazil
about it. I'll keep an eye out. As for the Lula administration, my guess
is--- for all their sins, they're innocent on this. Their general weakness
may contribute to this--- although they seem to be doing everything that
neoliberalism would want, my understanding is that they are apparently
under an unremitting attack by the right, the media, etc and their
governing coalition has just suffered significant defections from the
centre with the result that they are a significant minority in parliament
(while outside parliament seem to be busy disarming-- figuratively-- their
supporters). We have some people from Brazil on the list, and I hope they
can fill us in on this case and the general picture.
         in solidarity,
         michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724