[OPE-L] New website on cross-class alliance building

From: Gerald_A_Levy@msn.com
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 09:04:38 EST

I talked briefly at an EEA literature table yesterday with
Betsy Leodar-Wright,  the author of a forthcoming book
_Class Matters: Cross-Class Alliance Building for
Middle Class Activists_ (April, 2005: New Society Publishers)
and she handed me a flyer for:
http://www.ClassMatters.org

The website is intended as a companion to the book.

It's an interesting site, but I can't say that I agree with
all of its contents, especially the definition given of
working class:
http://www.ClassMatters.org/working_definitions.php
This understanding of class seems to me to have far
more in common with the mainstream sociological definitions
than a Marxian understanding. In fairness, though, the
definitions "are offered in hopes of starting a discussion
with shared language."

At this site, class is mostly discussed in the context
of US society rather than internationally.  I haven't had
enough time yet to de-cipher the politics of the site, but
it doesn't appear to be the most militant or revolutionary.

In solidarity, Jerry