[OPE-L] is this an example of the "new pluralism" in economics?

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 12:36:59 EST

I attended a session on the "new pluralism" at the EEA conference
at which Antonio spoke (but Stephen C and Susan Feiner were
unable to attend).

Then, I received the following in the mail today.

Clearly, Geoff Hodgson is a heterodox economist who is committed to
pluralism.

But,  is the work of Nobel Prize Winner, Douglas North (who
shared the 1993 prize with the reactionary economic historian
R.W. Fogel) an example of "new pluralism"?   Why?  For bringing
marginalist quantitative methods to the study of economic history? Weren't
those same quantitative methods used by Fogel &
Engerman in their apologetics for the slave system? And weren't
those same methods used by 'human capital' theorist and
1992 Nobel Prize Winner, Gary S. Becker?

Does anyone have any idea what North's  "new theory of political
economy" is?

It seems as if everybody in economics nowadays is going around
saying that they are committed to pluralism.  But, hasn't this become just
another buzzword -- like 'freedom' -- which is held forth
as a slogan by those who aren't really committed to it  and/or by
those who think that 'pluralism' simply means plural forms of
quantitative methods?

In solidarity, Jerry