Re: [OPE-L] standard commodity

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 02:10:04 EST

Dear Andrew, I am glad that you are intrigued. My
position is that a theory of value is well defined
only within a given system of basic goods. May be
economics can do a lot when things change over a
period of time, but it should not rest itself on a
theory of value in those cases. My sense is that
Sraffa wanted economics to be "descriptive" rather
than 'predictive" or "prescriptive". The problem of
new machines etc. being produced is not a problem
within the context of a given system of basic goods.
All new goods including new kinds of machines are
non-basics for the given system of production. Cheers,
ajit sinha

http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc/reports/Sraffa%20Standard%20Commodity.htm