Re: [OPE-L] standard commodity

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 05:22:46 EST

Thanks Ajit,

I don't think economics can get very far without a theory of value, and in point of fact well known existing economic theories do have a theory of value, hence the burden of argument would seem to be on you to show us how economics can proceed absent a theory of value. And I hope we agree that economics is useless if it tells us nothing about reality where change through time is axiomatic.

You write:

The problem of
new machines etc. being produced is not a problem
within the context of a given system of basic goods.
All new goods including new kinds of machines are
non-basics for the given system of production. Cheers,
ajit sinha

I reply: at best this remark seems to confirm the point I was making. In the real world, 'technical change' includes the introduction of a new machine to the production process. Therefore (1) the correct analysis (one which does not assume away the very point at issue) of such technical change must be a comparison between 2 different *basic* systems; (2) the Okishio theorem tells us nothing about the movement of the real world profit rate, in the face of real word technical change; (3) I remain puzzled as to why you place so much stress on results that you achive by entirely unrealistically holding the set of (basic) goods qualitiatively identical -- the fundamental limitation to economic science (and value) that you wish to stress is surely given by the point about real world technical change that I am making? (4) For my own part I believe the LTV is essential precisely because it provides a common substance and hence unit of value through real world technical change (the *magnitide* of this substance in any commodity changes, but the substance and unit itself does not, through technical change).

Your further thoughts on the above would be very much apperciated. Specifically if I have got something wrong I'd be very grateful if you could explain why and how. I will otherwise remain confused!

Many thanks,

Andy

http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc/reports/Sraffa%20Standard%20Commodity.htm