Re: [OPE-L] Teaching Tautologies : a response to David L

From: dlaibman@JJAY.CUNY.EDU
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 13:10:19 EST

Gerry (and OPE),
  This discussion might work better if OPE listmembers had copies of the paper, or knew its argument.  I would be happy to attach the paper, but the diagrams -- which are essential to the argument -- are not (yet) in electronic form, and I have not gotten enough specific and operational advice on how to get them there.
  In the meantime, the essential point of the paper is this.  New classical macroeconomics (the vertical long-run aggregate supply curve) assumes money wages are flexible, and the real supply of labor -- the labor supply curve, drawn against the *real* wage rate -- is fixed.  I propose a "dual": the money wage rate is fixed, but the supply of labor, based on the real conditions facing workers as determined by the recent history of wage bargains, is variable.  I call this latter the "Dobb Effect," for Dobb's 1929 article (which, incidentally, is clearly a development from Sraffa's much better known 1926 piece).  The the real wage rate, w, is pushed below a customary or standard level, w*, the workers' social condition deteriorates and they have no choice but to offer more labor at every wage: the supply curve of labor shifts outward.
   Under these circumstances, a demand expansion that raises the price level in the goods market will push w below w*, the Dobb Effect will kick in, and AS will shift to the *right*: as workers offer more labor (overtime, multiple jobs, etc.), output rises and the price level *falls* to accommodate this.  The new equilibrium is established at the old price level (which I call P*), and a new level of output consistent with AD at that price level.  The long-run aggregate supply curve is *horizontal*, and Keynes is vindicated.
   The paper also sketches a synthesis of the two models (New Classical; New Critical).  Preliminary result is that the synthesis multiplier is positive.  Policy has real effects, even with full price flexibility and rational expectations, etc. etc.  This is not a return to "fine-tuning," of course: the social cost of the real effect of the demand expansion is deterioration in the social position of the working class, with the attendant disequilibrating effects.  (Note that this implies a full measure of exploitation that goes beyong the usual rate of exploitation or wage share.)
   This may be too condensed a statement to be fully useful to anyone who hasn't read the paper, and/or is not already steeped in the fashions of present-day macroeconomics.
   First, my argument uses the tautology, real wage rate = money wage rate divided by price level.  So does the New Classical story.  I think no one will dispute the fact that if the price level increases while the money wage rate is constant, the real wage rate falls.  The *story* takes off from there; the Dobb Effect is the effect of the fall in w (below w*) on the real supply of labor.  That is not a tautology.  In fact, it may not even be true!  If it is true, it may take effect in too long a time frame for it to serve as the basis for a policy impact in the short run.  And empirical evidence is not too clear on it (of course, empirical evidence is not clear on the New Classical story either).  All economic models use some combination of behavioral assumptions, definitions (tautologies), and (where appropriate) equilibrium conditions.
    Second, OPE folks need to be clear: this is an attempt at *immanent critique* of mainstream macroeconomics -- to get under their skin, in their own terms, and upset the dogma of policy ineffectiveness -- the main conclusion of the free-market hegemony.  For this purpose, I use *their* tools.  I use, yes, diagrams.  You need to answer one diagrammatic argument with another one, not with something that could be taken to be a mooshy evasion.  I simply assume, in this paper, the usual downward sloping AD curve.  *Of course* all of this needs to be questioned in the full light of Marxist categories.  But the limited purpose of this one paper needs to be borne in mind.  If we can provide a simple, compelling case that makes the AS curve not vertical after all, and opens up a discussion of the wider social effects of fiscal and monetary policy, is that not something worth doing?
    On a more theoretically rigorous terrain, we will then need to ask: is there a Marxist analysis of the capitalist short run?  In other words, should we even bother to try to construct a theory of capitalist behavior in a period in which productivity, population, and physical capital stocks in place are all constant?  This behavior would then be the basis for a theory of how the capitalist economy responds in the short run to (capitalist) government policy moves.  Is this a useful inquiry, or should we simply assume that it is submerged in the dynamics of accumulation, crisis, etc.?  I am not sure, but I do think the immanent critical strategy is important to develop in the meantime.
    In solidarity,
      David
David Laibman
dlaibman@jjay.cuny.edu