Re: [OPE-L] standard commodity

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 09:43:50 EST

Hi Ajit,

> [responding to Andy B ] ... it comes close to the childish criticisms
> such as your assumptions are not realistic -- as if Arrows and
> Samuelsons don't know that!

I raised a point the other day, in reply to David L, that spoke to
this issue, I believe.  Except the "childish" authors who I was citing
were Joan Robinson and Ian Steedman:

>  A methodological critique (which is usually what
> diagram-intensive immanent critiques boil down to) is not a "mooshy
> evasion".   There were no graphs of formulas in Joan Robinson's "The
> Need for a Reconsideration of  the Theory of International Trade" or in
> the section of the  text by Ian  Steedman on "The
> Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson
> Theory of Trade"  but they constituted,  in my view, a *devastating*
> critique of H-O-S trade theory.   [....]

[the Steedman reference is (1980) _Trade Amongst Growing Economies_ ,
Cambridge University Press, pp. 4-7]

So, would you claim that Robinson and Steedman were advancing
a childish critique?

In solidarity, Jerry