Re: [OPE-L] Frank Thompson's Homepage

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 05:10:15 EDT

I was interested in his paper on the falling rate of profit
included on his website. This is broadly pro-Okishio and
argues that where both the organic composition of capital
and the real wage rise - and cause a fall in the rate of
profit this is only due to accumulation.

However I don't see how one can relegate the case brought
about by accumulation as an 'only' or a subsidiary case.

I think one could reverse the argument and say that since
one expect accumulation to be the norm in a capitalist economy
this will be the predominant case. The norm would be for
wages to represent a roughly stable share of GNP and for
accumulation to increase the stock of constant capital.
Under these circumstances the trajectory of profit will
be determined by demographics.