Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 12:15:21 EDT

And thanks to you too!

You can say humans are animals. Still, we must try to work out just what
exactly (if anything) distinguishes humans from other animals. And we
may then see that we can say that humans are not animals as well.

I get a whiff of you conflating progress in productivity of material
things progress in productivity of value (i.e. with capitalistic
development). We presumably would agree that we want to avoid starvation
and, more positively, engender a society of the freely creative
flourishing of everyone - this requires us to have mastery over our
natural environment. i.e. to be highly productive of material things. If
I had to I'd want to define 'intelligence' in terms of potential for
creativity, including productive creativity - though I might actually
prefer not to define it at all.

Best wishes,

Andy