Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Nicola Taylor (nmtayl@YAHOO.COM.AU)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 12:48:59 EDT

Andy,

What do you mean "unit of cost in ANY society"?  Surely the notion of costing labour time (in units?) arose with capitalism?  So too the idea that a product "embodies" labour.  This notion of 'embodiment" only makes sense if you think that labour contributes 'value' to the product.  Is value specific to capitalism? Or: does labour contribute value in ALL societies?

You are right.  Reuten and Williams would not agree with you that it is "obvious" that SNLT is the measure of congealed abstract labour".  Indeed they would deny it. But: is it right to say that - because they disagree with you - they have NO argument?  I think not.

Are you sure that Chris disagrees on your point about exchange value?  I guess it depends what you mean by "materialist dialectics"?  Hey... let's leave it to Chris to chip in if he wants....

cheers
Nicky

Andrew Brown <A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Well, mine ends up recognising labour time as the fundamental unit of cost in any society. And it recognises the product as an embodiment of labour in any society.

Then the inversion of capitalism turns ‘embodied’ labour into ‘congealed’ abstract labour and it is obvious that SNLT is its measure. This often tends to be denied in systematic dialectics despite, for example, Chris’s excellent ‘Dialectics of Labour’ from which I draw quite a lot (e.g. labour as concrete universal). Am much closer to Chris than others on these matters – perhaps my differences with Chris stem more from other aspects such as the basics of materialist dialectics whereby exchange value is clear evidence of a power and hence *must* have a material grounding.

Andy