Re: [OPE-L] Ricardo on the value of manufactured goods, or does the tail wag the dog?

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 09:53:26 EDT

At 05:00 10/04/2005, Phil cited Ricardo:

>Having fully acknowledged the temporary effects which, in particular
>employments
>of capital, may be produced on the prices of commodities, as well as on the
>wages of labour, and the profits of stock, by accidental causes, without
>influencing the general price of commodities, wages, or profits, since these
>effects are equally operative in all stages of society, we will leave them
>entirely out of our consideration, whilst we are treating of the laws which
>regulate natural prices, natural wages and natural profits, effects totally
>independent of these accidental causes. In speaking then of the exchangeable
>value of commodities, or the power of purchasing possessed by any one
>commodity, I mean always that power which it would possess, if not
>disturbed by
>any temporary or accidental cause, and which is its natural price.

to support his argument that 'Differences in technology are temporary and
changes soon
spread throughout an industry.'

         I think the passage refers to supply shocks and demand shifts---
ie., before market forces remove temporary or accidental deviations of
market price from natural price.
         michael

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724