Re: [OPE-L] Ricardo on the value of manufactured goods, or does the tail wag the dog?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 14:50:04 EDT

> I originally used Ricardo's theory to illustrate that differential rent
> could seen as the wages of non-human labour-power.  This means
> that the landlord is selling a commodity but not, qua landlord,
> producing one capitalistically.  This idea is not tied to Ricardo.

Hi Phil,

It is tied to the Ricardian inability to formulate a theory of surplus
value.  Once such a theory is formulated -- and once one recognizes
divergences of value from price -- then one can conceptualize the
*transfer of surplus value* among capitalists and from capitalists to
landlords in the form of rent.

In solidarity, Jerry