Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value? creativity

From: Ian Hunt (Ian.Hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 21:17:32 EDT

If  can chip in here too. It is not clear that in total
mechanization, labour time would retain its significance: as Chris
suggests, the issue is that of a conflict of interest between
labourer and capitalist, when both have a formally equal social
standing. Machines, no matter how ingenious or creative, would have
no interests in potential conflict with capital unless they had lives
of their own and consciously pursued their own interest in those
lives. If they did and had formally equal social standing, then the
social relations of capital would have a place. On the other hand, if
they were persons but lacked equal social standing, we would have
slave or feudal commodity production: labour time no doubt would play
a role here but not the same as under capitalism.

I think it is best to take labour time as playing a part in social
relations of production, taken as the social distribution of
advantages (burdens and benefits) of scoial cooperation. Labour time
as the time taken to perform a concrete labour should be
distinguished from abstract labour time: the former indicates the
level of the productive forces in industries, the latter indicates
the exploitative nature of capitalist social relations of production
and the role of commodity exchange in realizing exploitation aunder
capitalism,
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Head, Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,