Re: [OPE-L] on the political economy of the working class

From: Michael Heinrich (m.heinrich@PROKLA.DE)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 21:42:21 EDT

Rakesh Bhandari schrieb:

  > What do we mean by critique? If by we critique  we mean something
> like the Kantian transcendental analytic, then Marx is interested to
> determine the conditions of possibility of political economy as such
> (see Michel Henry). What are the conditions that make possible  the
> impossible equation of xcommodityA=ycommodityB?  Or perhaps critique
> should be understood as the delimitation of the domain under which
> concepts have some, perhaps practical validity (see Mattick jr,Gideon
> Freudenthal)? If such questions can be sensibly formulated and shown
> to have animated Marx's scientific work, then it does seem that it
> would be misleading to say that Marx is simply advancing a kind of
> political economy.
> Rakesh

The meaning of critique is indeed essential. I think we find different
meanings  in "Capital" but the most fundamental meaning is in some sense
close to Kant (I suppose it was not by accident, that the subtitle of
"Capital" reminds at Kant's Critique of Pure Reason). Like Kant
determines the conditions of possibility of metaphysical constructions
(and by this determination he destructs classical metaphysics) Marx
asked for the conditions of the possibility of categories of Political
Economy and by this he destroyed Political Economy - unfortunately only
intellecutally. The real existence of the mystifications expressed by
political economy will only vanish, when captialism has vanished (in
this point, I agree with Michael L.), fetishism is not an attribute of
mind or of false perception, it is an attribute of reality, of practical
behaviour in a capitalist society (I am not sure, whether Seyla
Benhabib, who you mentioned in another mail, would accentuate this, too).

Michael