Re: [OPE-L] whiteness

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 13:02:55 EDT

Yes, Rakesh,

The case mentioned in the review, U.S. v. Bhagat Singh Thind (this is at 261
U.S. 204 [1923] and can be found at www.findlaw.com) was particularly
embarrassing because the U.S. Supreme Court had just got through announcing
in another case, Takeo Ozawa v. U.S., 260 U.S. 178 [1922], that you couldn't
determine whiteness by color of skin since some Anglo Saxons were pretty
swarthy "being darker than many of the lighter hued persons of the brown or
yellow races," so therefore "the words 'white person' were meant to indicate
only a person of what is popularly known as the Caucasian race."  But then
comes Thind and so white now has to be distinguished from Aryan and
Caucasian, because there were scientists who used Caucasian to include not
only people like Thind, but also the Maori, Tahitians, Hamites of Africa
"upon the ground of the Caucasic cast of their features", and anyway nobody
could figure out how many races there were (29, 5 and 4 were all
candidates).  So the Court construes the statute to mean the people of the
British Isles and Northwestern Europe which was generously extended to the
people of Eastern, Southern and Middle Europe because "readily amalgamated
with them", but excluding others.  As for Caucasian, "we now hold that the
words 'free white persons' are words of common speech, to be interpreted in
accordance with the understanding of the common man, synonymous with the
word 'Caucasian' only as that word is popularly understood . . . whatever
may be the speculartions of the ethnologist."  And then the obligatory
disclaimer:  "It is very far from our thought to suggest the slightest
question of racial superiority or inferiority.  What we suggest is merely
racial difference, and it is of such character and extent that the great
body of our people instinctively recognize it and reject the thought of
assimilation."

It is too little noticed in world affairs that the United States was until
1954, just 50 years ago (that is for just short of 75% of its existence as
an independent government) explicitly a racial dictatorship,  Needless to
say much of the residue of this specific form of the ruler and the ruled
survives.  The idea that racial difference exists in some ontological space
distinct from economic, social and political inequality, for example,
continues a hardy existence in the way in which the whole question of
affirmative action gets framed.

Howard