Re: [OPE-L] the death of Andre Gunder Frank

From: Cyrus Bina (binac@MORRIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 17:26:47 EDT

Dear All:

This is another heartbreak news among the very hard ones I have received
recently!  Ahhh ... what a loss; what a loss of monumental magnitude for
those of us knew A. Gunder Frank and have first-hand knowledge of his
impact on both political struggles and conceptual awakenings,
particularly,  of the "Third World," vis-a-vis his political economy of
development and underdevelopment.  He was and remained fore ever a dear
friend and comrade despite the fact that we were not completely on the
same wavelength on the issues surrounding the grand transformation of
the world both historically and theoretically.  I have seen him last in
the mid-1990s in a seminar in which I sat next to him while he was
speaking slowly and eloquently on the state of the world then at
Harvard.  Huge losses are more huge where and when personal.

Cyrus

Cyrus Bina, Ph.D.
Distinguished Research Professor of Economics and Management
206 Camden Hall
University of Minnesota, Morris
600 East 4th Street
Morris, MN 56267-2132