Re: [OPE-L] Why aren't non-labourers sources of value?

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 09:04:02 EDT

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response to Andrew Kliman.

Re. 'creativity' and 'adaptability':

I've come to the view that adaptability is a necessary but not
sufficient condition for creativity, where we have productive creativity
in mind (the creation of new material things). I certainly agree they
are closely related.

Re. 'visible features of the final product':
My point here is simply that when one considers an object as an item of
consumption (of utility), then it does not matter what produced the
object, all that matters is what the object currently is. In other
words, it is the current material structure of the object that
constrains and enables the utility (usefulness) of the object. Only when
we come to consider the object as an item that has been produced (indeed
a product, and hence objectification, of labour) are we led to consider
the process of its production. So there is nothing more to it than the
distinction (within unity) between production and consumption. This is
of significance to my qualitative argument because as soon as we think
of the object as a product then qualitative considerations regarding the
relative importance of labour in production (vis-a-vis electricity, and
all other inputs) arise. It is of no direct significance to your
quantitative argument, however.

Many thanks,

Andy

Paul wrote:

Here is a response to Andrew that I am working on.

I am with you with respect to what you call creativity
I would call it adaptability or re-trainability.
 Why did the bourgeois class succeed in replacing horse-power
with steam power, but not be able to completely replace
workers by machines.

It is not that they did not want to, but that as each
task was mechanized, the working population has just
been displaced into tasks that have not yet been mechanized.

This did not happen with horses - except insofar as they
were retained as a badge of class by the horse-riding
landed gentry. Horses, whilst stronger than workers
were not adaptable. To return to a previous thread,
although a slave might legally be defined as instrumentum
vocalis, their species being as a human made them
educable and trainable and adaptable to any task that
their social superiors could do.

I don't get your focus on visible features of the final
product though. Why does electricity not make a particular
mark on the use value of a product - you have used
an aluminium coke can I imagine?
That aluminium metal bears the unmistakable mark of
electricity. The issue is not whether an object has
a visible or material mark on it, but what actually
determines its exchange value.