Re: [OPE-L] Re; [OPE-L] new publication: adorno and social theory

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 12:56:02 EDT

At 10:38 AM -0400 5/11/05, glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:

>< http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=2381 >
>
>Tom Huhn (ed.)
>The Cambridge Companion to Adorno
>
>Tom Huhn (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to
>Adorno, Cambridge University Press, 2004, 428pp,
>$26.99 (pbk), ISBN 0521775000.
>
>Reviewed by Eduardo Mendieta, State University of New York, Stony Brook

Mendieta has translated and written quite a bit
about Dussel. Dussel's thinking has very
important commonalities with the early Marxist
Horkheimer about whom my friend John Abromeit,
now a fellow at the University of Chicago, has
written a dissertation which I would highly
recommend-- The Dialectic of Bourgeois Society:
An Intellectual Biography of the Young Max
Horkheimer, 1895 1937

>. Reason can only be approached by way
>of conceptual ruin, and the ruins of the concept.
>If Hegelianism is about both totality and
>mediation, identity and difference, then Adorno
>was the most Hegelian of 20th century thinkers,

I am not sure how the ruin of the concept is Hegelian, but
then I think Ivan Soll's interpretation of Hegel as a conceptualist
seems persuasive.

>who also, however, refused to embrace the
>Hegelian tale of ultimate reconciliation, or buy
>into the presupposed theodicy of the Golgotha of
>reason becoming freedom in history through
>endless suffering. If Geist, reason, is its
>history, this history remains a scar and no
>cauterization will conceal it under the smooth
>neoplasm of world-historical platitudes. Today,
>as Adorno said in so many ways, everything that
>is social and natural is thoroughly mediated, but
>the vehicle of the mediation is itself distorted
>by the "totality." There is no outside, only the
>mediated meditation, the trace of the whole in
>everything singular, and the singular as a monad
>that mirrors the whole.

is there no exteriority for Adorno to the totality? Postone suggests
otherwise.

>  This mediated mediation,
>however, is always the commodity form. The
>concept itself has succumbed to the theological
>incantations of the circulation of wares and
>exchange values. The concept itself, as Lukýcs
>had already shown in his History and Class
>Consciousness, and as Adorno never ceased to
>underscore, wore the scarlet letter of the market
>of commodities.

And Adorno here was more indebted to Sohn Rethel than Lukacs, no?
But I don't think there is much mention of Sohn
Rethel in this Companion to Adorno. I'll check
later.

Yours, Rakesh