Re: [OPE-L] new publication: adorno and social theory

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 12:38:16 EDT

Hanno and others,
You may be interested in this very thought provoking paper by Alan
Norrie on Adorno and Bhaskar. It focuses on Adorno's critique not of
Weber and Durkheim but Kant.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spt/archives/anorrie200211.rtf.

I find Adorno's formulations often opaque (especially in Negative
Dialectics), and don't think I would have understood them if I had
not already read Pashukanis and Franz Neumann on the nature of the
law. More than twenty years ago, Norrie wrote in defense of the
former against important criticisms by Warrington. Adorno is
certainly implicitly ambivalent about the critique of Kantian
liberalism  carried out by Pashukanis.

Yours, Rakesh