Re: [OPE-L] Query to John Holloway: What's your position ontheBolivarian revolution?

From: John Holloway (johnholloway@PRODIGY.NET.MX)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 11:11:16 EDT

Jerry says:

> Another point:  I think that the way in which much of the Left has
> addressed this question -- by counter-posing  the experience of the
> Bolivarian  revolutionary process in Venezuela to the struggles of
> Zapatistas in Chiapas -- is dangerous and divisive.   Both
> movements are under attack by imperialism; neither one represents a
> universal "model"  for revolutionary change which should be uncritically
> adopted in all other nations;  both movements should be supported.

I think this is a very important point. The widely-circulated interview with
Tariq Ali, in which he says that Venezuela illustrates the failure of the
zapatista approach, is both silly and very dangerous. There should certainly
be discussion as to the merits and weaknesses of the two approaches, but to
counterpose them in that sort of way is very divisive.

John