Re: [OPE-L] accelerated destruction of the Amazon rainforest

From: clyder@GN.APC.ORG
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 03:25:48 EDT

We have to be cautious about lambasting the Brazileans here

We in Europe destroyed our virgin forests in the neolithic
revolution with further final clearances in the middle ages.
That was a precondition for the development of capitalist
civilisation.

Much of the amazonian forest is secondary regrowth after
the original neolithic agricultural system of the basin
was destroyed by the extinction of the populations there
after european contact.

The process of replacement of forests by agriculture is
a normal phase in the development of pre-capitalist, let
alone capitalist society.

Quoting Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM: