Re: [OPE-L] a comment on John's answers

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 08:58:37 EDT

Re: [OPE-L] further response to John HollowayHi John:

A quick question.

Last Thursday (the 19th) you wrote:

>   I think that the reduction of poverty is desperately urgent, especially
> and palpably in Latin America (elsewhere too, but more obviously here).
> For that reason I would probably support any government that I thought
> was seriously committed to achieving this. I marched against the exclusion
> of López Obrador and I may possibly vote for him next year. At the same
> time, I recognise that any government that does not seek to eliminate
> capitalism will probably achieve very limited results in the reduction of
> poverty and will be forced to take part in promoting conditions favourable
> for the accumulation of capital, with all the very real violence that that entails.
> If, then, I decide to vote for López Obrador, it would be very much on the
> basis of supporting the lesser (but possibly significantly lesser) of two evils.

I don't understand how your comment yesterday was consistent with what
you wrote last  Thursday:  aren't you suggesting in the latter that you
*might* support Obrador in the election by voting for him?  The reason you
are suggesting (that he might be a lesser evil) is different from saying that
you oppose his exclusion, isn't it?

In solidarity, Jerry