Re: [OPE-L] The New European Anti-Globalization Movement?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 08:30:45 EDT

> Attached is the draft of a Decraration of European Economists for an
> Alternative Economic Policy in Europe on the French (and Dutch) NO to the
> "European Constitution".

Hi Giannis:

Thanks for bringing this document to our attention.

There seem to be a number of Left Keynesian perspectives embedded within
the EuroMemorandum Group (June, 2005) statement.  On some points the
statement seemed to be rather vague: e.g. on monetary policy (what is, for
example, the "optimal policy mix"?;  what specifically is meant by the
"coordination between monetary and fiscal policies"?;  how would central
bank structure have to be changed for monetary policy to be "embedded
into a democratic process of discussion and decisions of economic
priorities"?).

What struck me the most was the lack of recognition that a No vote against
the EU Constitution in France and the Netherlands was also supported by
some significant nationalist and reactionary forces.   Shouldn't a
recognition  of this fact be part of the public debate that the
EuroMemorandum Group statement calls for?  Surely, now is not the time
for progressives in Europe to be silent about racism and nationalism, is it?
It should be noted in this connection that the statement has nothing to say
about immigration policies.

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: is the journal _Thesseis_ still being published?  If so, what are the
subjects of recent issues?