Re: [OPE-L] various

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 19:33:23 EDT

Michael,
exactly... the arguments centre immediately upon the implications for the
mass and rate of surplus value. That's economics for me.

The recent creation of a minimum wage here in Britain was preceded for years
by the  'lament over profits',
and the EU attempt to fix a max working week ( the so called 'social model')
was opted out of in practice by the same sort of appeal, PLUS arguments over
reduction in 'flexibility' of production,  infringement of civil liberty (
restricted freedom to sell use of labour power), 'pricing' of small
businesses out of business,  and a few other obvious points. There seem to
me to be no ( fortunately) 'sophisticated' indifference curve approaches to
muddy the water...

Cheers

paul bl