Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@WFU.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 21:17:30 EDT

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Ian Wright wrote:

> The "self-reproducing non-basics" are a subset of the non-basics
> (all of which have basics as input either directly or indirectly)
> that happen to also have themselves as input.
>
> "Self-reproducing" in this context does not mean that the "beans"
> can be produced without other commodities.

Would, say, race horses count as an example of self-reproducing
non-basics?  And is the problem that (say) it might be the case that
the reproduction rate of race horses implies a rate of profit in
excess of what can be achieved in the basic sector, so that one
can't have a uniform rate of profit without shenanigans?

(Sorry, I'm haven't studied Sraffa that closely, so I'm feeling my
way here.)

Allin Cottrell