Re: [OPE-L] "Capitalism in crisis can only lengthen the working day" [!]

From: BHANDARI, RAKESH (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 19:51:07 EDT

Gerald, I have not yet the read article that you are criticizing in much the same that you
critcized the dust jacket of the Bourdieu book for saying that the state constructs--rather than
simply shapes--the housing market. Of course the dust jacket was not written by Bourdieu, and
neither of us yet knows what role Bourdieu actually gave to the state. Perhaps he actually argues
that
it just actively shapes the housing/rental market.
But if I remember correctly national health officials were compelled to report on a crisis of
overwork in Britain, and I would recommend again Pietro Basso's book on the working day. That the
working class is now in a defensive position vis-a-vis
longer and more intense working hours is not as obviously incorrect as you are suggesting.
Rakesh