Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 10:29:42 EDT

At 1:07 PM +0200 9/29/05, Diego Guerrero wrote:
>Jerry said:
>>

>>Where did Marx write this?   What does this expression imply?
>>It sounds like an anti-Scottish stereotype and slur....
>>
>>In solidarity, Jerry
>

>I think it is in Theories of Surplus Value, when critizicing Smith because
>of his conception of the productive labour that did not include productive
>labour performed outside the material (sensually tangible) production.

Just guessing: Too Scottish meaning taking individuated individuals
as the starting point, rather than the social relations of labour
which  appear as buying and selling commodity relations between those
individuated individuals. Not understanding that cooperative social
labour is ontologically fundamental, the Scottish Enlightenment
thinker looks (fetishistically) for the source of value not in the
invisible relations of social labor but in the material
characteristics of the things themselves, e.g. its durable
vendibility.
??? Just guessing.