Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics and financial services

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 03:48:44 EDT

Paul, you say: "The mass of surplus value can not
> be altered by activities in the 3rd sector producting luxuries etc."

Suppose a system producing 10 iron, 10 corn and 100 luxuries, with 10, 10
and 100 workers respectively. As distribution can be any distribution, this
would be possible. Do you mean that wages and profits in this third sector
come from the two former? I don't think so. Another, very different thing,
would be if this third sector were public administration. Then productivity
in the two productive sectors would have to be much higher that in the other
sector in order for them to be able to pay taxes and redistribute such a
quantity of surplus value.

In my opinion, in the first case we have new areas for accumulation of
capital and production of new surplus value. In the second case we would
have new areas outside value production that would reduce the potential of
accumulation of capital.

Diego