Re: [OPE-L] translation of innerer Durchschnitt

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 14:47:09 EDT

Hi Hanno,

The passage >>>

"In our description of how production relations are converted into entities
and rendered independent in relation to the agents of production, we leave
aside the manner in which the interrelations, due to the world-market, its
conjunctures, movements of market-prices, periods of credit, industrial and
commercial cycles, alternations of prosperity and crisis, appear to them as
overwhelming natural laws that irresistibly enforce their will over them,
and confront them as blind necessity. We leave this aside because the actual
movement of competition belongs beyond our scope, and we need present only
the inner organisation of the capitalist mode of production, in its ideal
average, as it were." <<<

is _very_ consistent with the passage I called your attention to:

>>> "The phenomena under investigation in this chapter assume for their
full development the credit system and competition on the world market, the
latter being the very basis and living atmosphere of the capitalist mode of
production.  These concrete forms of capitalist production, however,
can be comprehensively depicted only after the general nature of capital
is understood; it is therefore outside the scope of this work to present
them -- they belong to a possible continuation."  <<< (Penguin ed., Vol. 3,
Ch. 6, Section 2, p.  205).

Note that in both passages he explicitly and unambiguously states that
the study  of *competition* lies beyond the scope of _Capital_.

Additional references to a "possible continuation" on competition
appear in Vol 3, Ch. 10, about 8 paragraphs before the end of
the chapter (p. 298 in Penguin ed.) and Ch . 18, about 9 paragraphs
before the end of the chapter (in a para. that begins (3); p. 426 in
Penguin ed.).

Given the above, there is every reason to believe that the scope of
_Capital_ was limited,  like the _Grundrisse_, to the general nature
of capital (capital in general).

In solidarity, Jerry