Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General and Class in _Capital_

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 09:36:07 EDT

>    Michael [H, JL], I don't deny that the lack of mention of capital in
> general in Capital is interesting; however, as Rob Lucas points out
> in Marx Myths, there are very few mentions of communism (which I see
> as permeating CAPITAL) there too.

Mike L:

Also interesting is the lack of references to _class_ in _Capital_.

I just did a quick word search at http://www.marxists.org for
"class".   I had to make some deductions to:

a)  exclude references outside of _Capital_;
b)  exclude references in the afterwards and prefaces of
     Volume 1, including any references by Engels;
c) exclude references that referred to something quite
     different from social classes such as the "class of soil",
     etc.
d) exclude reference in _Resultate_.

The references in _Capital_ to "class", with the above
exclusions with a very quick tabulation on my part, are:

Volume                                     References
=====                                     ========

I                                                    16

II                                                   10

III                                                  11
                                                 --------
                          Total:                   37

Of course, there could be something wrong with the
search function and/or my tabulation, but it's interesting.
Isn't it?

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: in sending Fred's paper, I was not necessarily
expressing agreement with the contents.  I thought, though,
that it bears a discussion, especially since it has an
entire section on Michael H's interpretation of capital in
general and a rather long reference to Chris's position
as well.