Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 08:12:51 EDT

At 11:57 18/10/2005, Fred wrote:

>Furthermore, in the theory of the distribution of surplus-value in Volume
>3, Marx continues to assume that S = D.  Again this assumption is repeated
>many times.  Indeed, the concept of price of production, the central
>concept of Volume 3 assumes equal rates of profit across industries,
>which in turn assumes S = D.

SNIP

>You say that, according to me, "there is a state in time in which
>surplus-value exists prior to its distribution."  I would put it
>differently:  in Marx's theory of the circulation of capital, under the
>assumption of S = D, the abstract total surplus-value is determined prior
>to its distribution in circulation.
>
>Mike, how much do we agree or disagree?

Fred,
         I am truly sorry. I don't know, and can't know without the
time to engage your ideas (which means reading your paper). I've
apologised to Andy off-line but I'll do this openly now (so I can
apologise to everyone wanting to follow this exchange of
interpretations). It will just have to wait for another time. I'm, of
course, very curious to know the answer myself and knowing if surplus
value exists for you on the surface would help. Similarly, if price
of production is a category of the inner or the outer.
         Again, my apologies for what seems from my end to be a case
of entering into a relationship but being unwilling to make a commitment.
                 un abrazo revolucionario,
                 michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724