Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 13:05:16 EDT

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:49:34 -0700
  Ian Wright <wrighti@ACM.ORG> wrote:
> Andy, Rakesh
>
> This is restating Andy's point with different terminology, so not sure
> if it is helpful.

Not really because I am arguing that value is not an intrinsic
property of commodities. To say that it is intrinsic to or inherent in
or dispositional of commodities in themselves, i.e.
outside the system of the relative and equivalent form relation,  is
simply commodity fetishism. I have argued however that it makes
sense to speak of abstract labor at least theoretically outside
of the value form social relation. For example the very argument
that abstract labor did not have practical validity in say a caste
society is already to assume homogeneous social labor for we
are looking at the barriers to its reallocation in the face of natural challenges
or social changes.

Rakesh

Often useful to make a distinction between