Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Christopher Arthur (arthurcj@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 06:23:23 EDT

>Hi Rakesh,
>
>One thing to do would be to consider from what respective
>perspectives(individual commodity, system-wide, all possible?) our
>respective viewpoints are coming from. The most important aspect I have
>been apparantly abysmally failing to get across is the importance of
>distinguishing between persepctives, in particular system-wide vs.
>individual. Your replies seem simply never to have engaged me on this. Yes
>- I am frustrated!
>
>Let's put it another way - in 'what sense' can we say a commodity is not a
>value prior to sale? No sense at all? In what sense can we say it is?
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Andy

>       >
>       >Andy

When one considers systemic determination of value it is not just the all
pervasive market relations that entitile us to say that a single case is
somehow virtually a value  prior to its realisation as such on the market.
There is  also the important point that the commodity is produced in the
context of a capital circuit in which value metamorphoses from money to
factors of production to commodity to money etc, in other words production
itself is form-determined as production of value by value from the outset
so no sharp distinction can be made pre and post sale.

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England