Re: [OPE-L] Derrida's ghosts

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 10:01:00 EDT

I was making an observation, which was neither critical of TSS,
SSS or Derrida for that matter.  I.e. I was simply noting that the
conception of  temporality in Derrida is inconsistent with that of
the SSS and TSS interpretations of Marx.  Whether they are using
period analysis or (as in the case of some TSS writings) non-
linear dynamics, both of these perspectives have what Derrida
might have referred to as "traditional conceptions of temporality"
(recall that temporalism _is_ a traditional conception of
temporality).    Of course, TSS and SSS focus on the _quantitative_
aspect of  Marx's theory which was clearly not Derrida's focus.
Nor, as I recall from an EEA conference, is it Antonio's focus:
indeed he was highly critical of the conceptions of _all_ Marxian
"value theorists."

If someone believes that TSS _is_ consistent with Derrida's
concept of temporality then I'd like to hear how.  While (former
member) Eduardo Maldonado-Filho called attention to Vol. 3,
Chapter 6, Section 2 of _Capital_,  I don't think that he analogized
the release and tying-up of capital to the release and tying-up of
ghosts.

In solidarity, Jerry