Re: [OPE-L] Derrida's ghosts

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 23:49:25 EST

Jerry,
I think you are correct that Derrida's understanding of
temporality will not prove compatible with TSS's. An
more interesting comparison for Derrida seems to be with Ernst Bloch
(who is not discussed I think in Balibar's book on the Philosophy
of Marx which is what I believe Derrida drew from ).
But at least TSS has a conception of temporality where the
past, present and future are part of single analysis without being
collapsed into the eternal present implicit in comparative
static thinking.
Marx was a thinker of change from positive feedback and dialectical
transformations (for example if there is a shock and a sudden population shortage
the wage is not expected to return to a fixed real subsistence level ex ante; through
repeated exchanges with labor the small master becomes a capitalist though the
form of exchange seems to persist--quantitative changes become
qualitative, form can mask content so Marx was
not simply a theorist of social forms, etc.).
I agree that such a dialectical Marx is not what Derrida has in mind.
You are correct about this. In fact I think dialectics as beautifully
described by Levins and Lewontin has to be antithetical to Derrida's
understanding of contradiction and  iteration and qualitative change.
I don't remember Michael Ryan's book on Marxism and Deconstruction
exploring the contrast with dialectics. But that book is still packed up.
Those skeptical of Derrida from the perspective of critical realism will
probably be interested in the work of Christopher Norris.
Yours, Rakesh