Re: [OPE-L] Derrida's ghosts

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 09:35:10 EST

Hi Jerry,

Yes, your post is a good reminder of two things.  One, there are emergent
and intermediate structures (not necessarily contingent) that intervene.
The evolution of a population cannot be reduced to genetics because of other
factors that must be taken into account.  Second, explanation of phenomena
immediately presented to us can require accounting for the intersection of
different underlying mechanisms.

On the other hand, there is a risk here of assuming anyone who appeals to
underlying structure is reductionist, and that just doesn't follow.  If
that's the argument, doesn't it start out by assuming the other is
theoretically inconsistent?  That is, the person is supposed to make one
appeal to deep structure, but then all further explanation attributed to her
is just a matter of additively heaping up determined features.  Why wouldn't
we suppose instead that for complex systems there may be an emergence of
causal structure "all the way up"?

Thanks,

Howard