[OPE-L] the riots in France (was 'Derrida's ghosts']

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 11:36:05 EST

Paul Z:

I asked you what you had to add, but you replied with a
question of your own.  Too bad -- I was looking forward
to reading what _you_ had to add via analysis to the situation
in France.

> What's your specific connections to Derrida's theory?

I view both Derridan and Althusserian theory as, in part, a
reaction to what might be called "economic determinist"  or
"vulgar Marxist"  perspectives.  An economic determinist might try,
for example, to reduce the riots in France to simply a revolt against
economic conditions and to privilege economic struggles by
workers over all other social struggles.  Althusser (and Derrida?) might
say that this event is overdetermined and that all of the factors which
are constitutive of the contemporary social formation in France
have to be considered together.

In solidarity, Jerry