[OPE-L] riots in France, riots in Denmark

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 13:20:39 EST

Although without any apparant leadership or explicit demands, this has
become an international struggle./In solidarity, Jerry

From Viking Observer blog.

Monday, October 31, 2005
War in France, War in Denmark

Lately, the moslem-led riots now running for four days straight in France
have been given a great deal of attention, fex from the BBC:

France's Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy has promised to step up
security after violence flared for a fourth night in a Paris suburb.

Six policemen were hurt and 11 people arrested in the latest clashes with
youths in Clichy-sous-Bois, although it was calmer than on previous
nights.

Not that well covered is a very similar series of riots, also running for
four days, in Århus, Denmark. Nothing of it has penetrated to the
english-language sections of Danish media, so the following is my
translation of a piece in daily Jyllands-Posten:

Rosenhøj Mall has several nights in a row been the scene of the worst
riots in Århus for years. "This area belongs to us", the youths proclaim.
Sunday evening saw a new arson attack.

Their words sound like a clear declaration of war on the Danish society.
Police must stay out. The area belongs to immigrants.

Four youths sit on the wall in Rosenhøj Mall sunday afternoon, calling
themselves spokesmen for the groups, that three nights in a row have
ravaged and tried to burn down the restaurant and other stores.

Around the parking lot, cars with youngsters from the immigrant community
are swarming, and many are walking around, greeting each others with a
sense of victory after the worst riots in Århus in years.

Every night 30-40 youts took part, especially immigrants.

Only two were arrested.

That was a victory.

"We knew, you would be coming. We are spokesmen", said a young man with a
black knitted hood on his head, when JP (Jyllands-Posten - Henrik) visited
Rosenhøj Mall sunday. He was angry. Very angry. Behind him the pub Hot
Shot has scars after the attacks with cobble stones, and the stores along
the parking lot besides the small mall have their windows covered with
adhesive tape in a spiderweb pattern.

Four hours after the short meeting, Falck (Danish privat emergency service
- Henrik) sent a group of fire engines under police escort to the nursery
Kjærslund on Søndervangs Allé, right across the street from Rosenhøj
Mall.

Gasoline through the window

A window had been shattered at the back of the house, and the fire had
been blazing, apparently because of gasoline poured onto the floor, then
lit.

Falck stopped on Viby Square, a couple kilometers from the site of the
arson attack, waiting for the police to turn up so they could be escorted
to the nursery. Two nights earlier, other Falck-employees were threatened,
when they were covering up broken shop-windows.

Cobblestones had smashed the shop-windows from one end of the mall to the
other. The police wrote in their report saturday night, that the youths
had their stones with them in bags, when they came to Rosenhøj.

Cobblestones against bakery.

Saturday morning a 16-year-old somali boy was incarcerated, accused of
aggravated assault, as he friday evening threw a cobblestone through a
window in the bakery. The stone passed closely by baker Børge Svaløs
face. ..

He calls himself 100 percent Palestinian, born in a refugee camp in
Lebanon 19 years ago, and now out of work in Denmark.

"The police has to stay away. This is our area. We decide what goes down
here".

And then the bit with the drawings of the prophet Muhammed comes around:

We are tired of what we see happening with our prophet. We are tired of
Jyllands-Posten. I know it isnt you, but we wont accept what
Jyllands-Posten has done to the prophet", he says aggressively, and the
others nod approvingly.

Planned for three weeks

To of them are Turks, and it is the first time, that Turks and
Palestinians act together, the 19-year-old says.

"We have planned this for three weeks. That is why only two were arrested
saturday nigh. The police will cordon off it all. But we know the ways
out", he claims, and then disappears, munching on a piece of pizza from
Fun Pizza.

The pizzerias windows are also held together by adhesive tape after the
attacks with cobblestones.

Of course, it isnt of the size the Paris riots have, but then France is 10
times larger than Denmark, population-wise, and has 25 times more moslems.

Its not just Paris.

UPDATE:

It has been brought to my attention, that "mall" would be a bad
translation in the above article. Please substitute with "shopping centre"
when you read the post.

Henrik

posted by Henrik at 2:00 PM