Re: [OPE-L] capital in general and competition

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 23:35:45 EST

Hi Fred,
Thanks for taking the time to explain your views which in turn
have helped me understand Capital as I indicated in my last message.

As you know from previous discussion,
I think the magnitude of surplus value is discussed
throughout Capital, not just in the first volume.
In vol 3 Marx deals with economies
in the use of constant capital; this affects the
magnitude of surplus value, no?
We also find that turnover time affects the mass of surplus value produced
per annum. Also surplus value can decrease in volume 3 with the introduction of
ground rent. Increasing ground rent payments can  raise the price of
wage goods and thus decrease the rate of exploitation and the
magnitude of surplus value. All these factors have to be considered
as determinants of the mass of surplus value produced.

So  the production of the mass of surplus value
being  depends on a lot of factors,
some only discussed in the volumes following the first.

Moreover,  Marx never  considers in detail the effects of rising physical
productivity as measured in ever greater physical quantities of use
values on the production of surplus value. These effects are
suggested in many places but never fully developed. In my opinion--and
here I was convinced by Paul Cockshott long ago--
this is what gives the Sraffian
model focused as it is on physical
quantities a real strength over  much value
centric analysis to which I am of course
sympathetic.

On this list Paul Burkett has reminded us of how serious a blindness
to use value (in an objective classical sense) is in the face of
grave ecological problems. And of course Steve Keen has his own  version
of this argument.

All this said, I generally agree with what you are saying, and again
as my last post to you showed, I take as very insightful and helpful
your attempt to differentiate levels of abstraction.

What do I mean by seeming mental abstractions such as capital in general
and the average rate of profit being real things?
I mean that capital in general
has its own real attributes and  its own fate which is independent of the lives
of the individual capitals of which it is composed. But this is very murky,
and I'll need time to think about it. Which will
include time to reread Chris Arthur's
work.

Comradely, Rakesh