Re: [OPE-L] capital in general and competition

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 12:19:48 EST

Rakesh, thanks for your latest message and sorry for my delayed response.

I agree that many factors affect the total amount of surplus-value produced in
a year:  most directly wages, the length of the working day, the number of
workers employed, and the turnover rate of capital; and also indirectly all the
other factors that affect these direct determinants of the total surplus-value.

However, my point is that, in Marx’s theory of the distribution of surplus-
value in Volume 3, Marx holds all these determinants of surplus-value constant
and takes the total surplus-value produced as given, in order to analyze how
the given total surplus-value is divided into individual parts – first into
equal rates of profit across industries, and then the further division of the
total surplus-value into commercial profit, interest, and rent.  I have written
several papers (that you know about) that present lots of textual evidence to
support this interpretation.

(1)  Economies in the use of constant capital do not affect the total amount of
surplus-value; instead, these economies affect the stock of constant capital,
the denominator in the rate of profit, and thus affect the rate of profit.  But
the amount of surplus-value is independent of constant capital, as Marx
emphasized many times.

(2)  Turnover times do affect the total amount of surplus-value produced per
year; I said this in my last post.  Marx analyzed turnover times in Volume 2 of
Capital, at the level of abstraction of capital in general, prior to the level
of abstraction of competition in Volume 3.

(3)  Yes, if wages rise, then surplus-value is reduced.  But for a given
period, the amount of wages (or variable capital) is taken as given, which
determines (in part) the total amount of surplus-value produced, which in turn
is taken as given in the Volume 3 theory of the division of this total surplus-
value into individual parts.

Rakesh, a simple quantitative question:  how do you think Marx determined the
general rate of profit in Part 2 of Volume 3?  Did he not determine it as the
total surplus-value divided by the total capital invested, with the total
surplus-value taken as given, as determined by the prior theory of the
production of surplus-value in Volume 1 (and the circulation of capital in
Volume 2)?

Please answer this question.  I think it would help to clarify whether or not
we have a significant disagreement here.

Thanks again.

Comradely,
Fred