Re: [OPE-L] W J Blake clarification requested

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 08:37:22 EST

> saying Blake was a journalist. I was a bit confused reading this
> since this is not what it said/says in his books introduction.
> Are we talking at cross purposes. I referred to William J Blake
> who in 1939 published the 'Elements..' used in the email title.
> But he was a stock exchange 'worker'(!) and banker, not as you
> say in the email a journalist!

Paul B:

On the title page below his name, there is the following:

"Formerly Managing Director, London Scottish Banking Corporation;
Investment Director Grain Union, S.A. (Antwerp); Associate Editor
Magazine of Wall Street"

An "Associate Editor" (in the "Preface", he wrote that he was a
"financial editor") of a magazine might be loosely thought of
as being a "journalist", right?  It's certainly likely that in that capacity
he wrote occasional articles and reported on current events and
meetings for that magazine.

> You say you have 2 MSS from  a  'Blake'... is it not possible to publish
> these ?

I don't know about that, but the title(s) of the book is/are curious.
I.e. the title page says that it is _Elements of Marxian Economic Theory
and its Criticism_ whereas the _cover_ of the book lists the title as
_An American Looks at Karl Marx_.  Presumably the former was the
official title and the one preferred by the author and the latter was
selected by the publisher (Cordon Company)?

In solidarity, Jerry