Re: [OPE-L] abstraction and surprise

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 05:52:49 EST

We have discussed previously Chiatin's point that premises cannot contain as much info as reality. This seems to me to make a research program entirely based on linear logic doomed to failure. We have to look elsewhere and dialectics, a logic of content, not just form, fits the bill. The idea is that the starting point (the dialecical equivalent of the 'premises') does *imply* its own further development, it has implicit conditions of existence. This is not some sort miracle but it occurs simply because the starting point is an abstraction from the system as a whole, and cannot exist as such an abstraction. E.g. the commodity as the general form of wealth implies money, which (arguably) implies capital, which implies exploitation, etc.

Of course each development is a surprise. Any other way we wouldn't be learning anything, beyond what we already know!

Andy